Re: XML as a standard UNIX config file format (Re: Caldera installation - something Debian should learn)

On Sat, Apr 24, 1999 at 09:33:55PM -0400, James LewisMoss wrote:
>  Bernd> I dont have problems with that. Well.. on the othe hand, I am
>  Bernd> used to work with it for years.
> Ah.  You don't therefore no one does.

Nope, I did not say that there is not a change needed. But I just see the
work into a frontend is much more important then the work in all the backend
modules (would be a pain to maintain all those diffs in first place).

A config file format which can be easyly expanded (like XML) is good, but
this doesnt help to simplyfy the data semantics: what we realy need to
simplyfy the administartion are frontend tools which can represent and
explain a systems configuration. And this job can be done especially well,
if the config files are stable and dont change by each new application.

>  If you hadn't guessed.  Another
> non-argument.

I dont argue with you, I dont want to stop you from coding... just tell you
that this admin-tool discussions are repeating themself and new technologies
without someone who is doing the work are not a real breakthrough.

Greetings
Bernd

PS: I´m actuelly writing applications which use XML as data formats...
well.. on NT :)