Re: compile dies with Memory Error, runs out of file descriptors

Rene Hojbjerg Larsen wrote:
> David Welton wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 23, 1999 at 12:26:45AM +0000, Rene Hojbjerg Larsen wrote:
>>> I'm trying to compile wmaker (from Marcelo's debianized sources) on an
>>> up to date potato system.  It dies in the configure phase with:

>>> Running an strace shows that the system is running out of file
>>> descriptors:
>>
> Ahh, I think I just located the problem: It's caused by the new fakeroot
> package (0.0-17.4).  If I run "debian/rules binary" as root instead of via
> fakeroot, the problem goes away.  I'll go file a bug report.

In case anyone wonders, this turned out not to be the real problem
afterall, since I could sometimes provoke the memory error without
using fakeroot.  The problem was that I had chosen pdksh as my /bin/sh as
suggested by someone on this list.  Well, apparently pdksh is buggy or
inefficient when dealing with pipes, causing these "Memory Error"'s when
evaluating comlicated command lines and so.
--
       /'"`\  zzzZ  | My PGP Public Key is available at:
      ( - - )       | <http://home1.inet.tele.dk/renehl/>