Re: netscape crashes on potato

At Fri, 30 Apr 1999 00:28:53 -0700,
Ivan E. Moore II <rkrusty@tdyc.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure if it's me or not...but on 3 out of 4 of my potato systems,
> Netscape seems to crash an awful lot with bus errors.  I've tried several
> different versions out of potato as well as 2 different ones staring from
> netscape's site.
>
> Is this just me??or is this a glibc2.1 issue?

AFAIK, netscape (or maybe Motif library) handles wide char and/or multibyte
char in very wrong way, so if you run in some locales except C, it will crash.
(sometimes it treats wide characters as multibyte characters and tries to
 convert these to multibyte characters again :<)
At least, in ja_JP.ujis locales, netscape crashes with bus errors.

We'll try to fix it using some preload library.  If you're interested in,
please check libnsfix-ja.so in netscape-base-4 package in debian-jp.
For example, it can be found at
 ftp://ftp.debian.or.jp/debian-jp/dists/potato-jp/non-free/binary-i386/web
Or you can use the following apt line:
 deb http://www.debian.or.jp/debian-jp potato-jp main contrib non-free

Although it is named as -ja, I think it will work other languages.
However, it still have some bugs so it sometimes crashes.... *sigh*

Regards,
Fumitoshi UKAI