Re: perl and CPAN updates

On Fri, Apr 30, 1999 at 02:23:24PM -0400, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> According to Piotr Roszatycki:
> > On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> > > Debian is free to break up the Perl base, but I don't recommend it.
> > > It would undermine the whole point of those modules being in the
> > > upstream distribution in the first place.  You could just upgrade bits
> > > of the perl base -- CAREFULLY -- when making a new perl-base.deb.
> >
> > Well, compiling a whole perl is a difficult job.
>
> It's not *that* hard.  I do it several times a day.  Of course, I'm
> the maintainer of 5.004.  :-)

Perl is not hard to build.  FWIW I prefer CPAN over the *.deb packaging
for perl.  I just wish there were some way to divert all the debian
packages OUT of perl and do perl -MCPAN -e shell install Debian.bundle (or
some such).  Building that bundle as a cpan module is out of my league,
unfortunately.  We've been running with our own 5.005 for quite some time;
we need it.  That's only hard when one of the debian version updates and
I have to unpack my backup tgz.

> Even so, I believe it would be unwise to separate Perl from its
> standard modules.

or to change the directory layout  ;^)

cfm

--

Christopher F. Miller, Publisher                             cfm@maine.com
MaineStreet Communications, Inc         208 Portland Road, Gray, ME  04039