Re: Web servers bug ?

"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:

> Hmm, I don't remember putting the fix in, and I just checked the
> changelog...
>
> Ah - you are talking about putting in the username itself, which _must_
> be double-quoted, by the way, but that's no use without being able to
> grant permissions to it.  That needs release 6.5.

No... I'm talking about the fact that the 6.3.x createuser script
doesn't allow the username 'www-data' and the 6.4.x createuser script
does.

Your right about the permissions problem, but I don't find that
problem to be really be a problem.  I just use group permissions
anyway.  From a developer's standpoint, using groups to manage perms
is better than using users anyhow, since there's an additional level
of abstraction.

In short, no need to change the default web user just to work around a
bug in one database package, a bug you can workaround anyhow.

The onshore-timesheet package contains a script called 'install-db'
which is called from postinst and performs all the actions described
here (hands free, idempotently).