Re: Corel Setup Design Proposal

Robin Stephenson wrote:

> David> On Thu, May 06, 1999 at 04:53:50PM +0100, Robin Stephenson wrote:
> >> [...] Corel Intel Debian GNU/Linux distribution [...]
>
> David> That, and *maybe* PPC is where the vast majority of users who
> David> want a nice, friendly install are.  And that is also where
> David> Corel's software runs...
>
> Maybe I'm reading too much into this... so there's no chance of
> seeing, say, WordPerfect running on Alpha Linux under anything than
> x86 emulation?  Or of buying a Corel Alpha Debian CD-ROM?

At this moment we're concentrating on i386. That does not rule out the
possibility
in the future that we would do other platforms. That said, by working closely
with Debian at the system level, it would be possible for you to port the
setup-api to other platforms. As far as applications  go, I think it's to soon
to say what's the best way to go as far as other platforms.
Issues of time, cost, demand, etc, all have to be weighed in.  Even though we
are building upon your work, and that of others, there is still the need to
start carefully and get at least the i386 platform right.

Thanks
Dave