Re: Perl 5.005 in potato AND why freeze?

On Sun, May 09, 1999 at 11:11:21AM -0500, Mr. Christopher F. Miller wrote:
> What are the reasons for freezing in the first place?  Distribution
> versioning is not something I know much about!  Help me out.
>  1) A known (re)starting point.
>  2) Bandwidth conservation - offload from mirrors to CD-ROM.
>  3) Life is simpler for the non sysadmins.
>  What else?

The things in the distribution have been tested and known to work
reasonably well together. Stuff in unstable doesn't necessarily work,
and may cause problems when combined with other packages in unstable.

> Nor do I understand the ins and outs of why not perl5.005:
> if something is inevitable, general the quicker done the better.

Yeah. But no one's done it, there's just been a lot of commenting that
debian can't freeze 'til it's done. In my mind if they options are to
release the next version of debian without a new perl or wait forever
for someone to do it, I'm gonna say forget the new perl.

> My business needs it and has been running it since it appeared
> in unstable for a few days some time ago.

So why the heck do you need it? (The only thing I've heard so far is
threading, which AFAIK is too unstable to be in stable.)

Mike Stone