Re: Homapages in list of maintainers

Taketoshi Sano <xlj06203@nifty.ne.jp> writes:

> I have heard that some self-candidates from Debian JP felt
> that the Debian Project rejects them as a maintainer,
> because:
>
> one of them had not receive no answers for long time,
>
>    more than a month is too long enough for ordinary people.

Yes, well, it takes from 4 weeks to 6 months or longer for *all*
people.  I agree this should be shorter...  Anyhow Debian-JP is *not*
getting singled out.  Everyone has this issue.

> one of them did not have no English-written certificate,

There is no requirement that I know of that any identification must be
written in English.

> and one of them had not enough time to wait the oversea call at home.
>
>    He worked at laboratory, and during the experimentation,
>    he can't respond any call.

IF there's not way the guy can get a phone call, I'm afraid there's no
way they can be confirmed and become a developer.

>    "developers-reference" told us
>
>        A phone number where we can call you. Remember that
>        the new maintainer team usually calls during
>        evening hours to save on long distance tolls.
>        Please do not give a work number, unless you are generally
>        there in the evening.
>
>    but When is the "evening hours" ? or Where this "the evening hours"
>    have meaning at ? We don't know where the person at new-maintainer
>    lives in. If he lives in, say, NewYork city, "the evening hours"
>    may be 17:00-21:00 there, and 07:00-11:00 morning here.
>    Without the announce in advance, those who lives in Japan have
>    some difficulty to continue to wait a telephone call hopelessly
>    for a few months at such working time.

According to James, all he says is "it's unlikely to be between 8AM
and 4PM British time on Monday-Friday".

No one is asking you to sit by the phone for 3 months.  But if you can
only be reached at number XX-YYY at the hours of 3-7 GMT on Saturday,
then tell the new maintainers that.  Give them time windows that work
for you.  Give them a few different numbers and suggested times.  I
mean, common sense, people.

> Some members including current Debian maintainers (whom we call
> as "official maintainers") insist that the action should have
> taken now to speed up the contribution of JP packages into Debian.

> The proposed action is to make an explicitly declaration that
> "official" maintainers can freely take and move the JP packages
> debianized by non "official" maintainers.
>
> Why is this needed ? There is a barrier or filter to be a maintainer
> on Debian currently, and it is easy to take and move than to wait
> patiently the willing JP member to be registered as a maintainer.

Sure, but put people in the queue.  It may take up to 3 months or
longer if you're hard to reach on the phone -- so just plan on that.

> BTW, related to that dispute, an "official" maitainer said
> the "filter" works effectively. Is this the common idea to
> Debian people ? Does Debian needs the filter to trap and drop
> the willing self-candidate who have made and maitained
> a qualified package already ?

Well, sure, this is a decent stop-gap measure, so long as the "filter"
person is able to do their job and keep up, and forward bugs on to the
actual person who knows the code.

> I understand (or at least hope to understand) this and I think also
> some verification mechanism is required. But I doubt the enoughness
> and effectiveness of the current processing mechanism.

Well, I think it's pretty clear that we need more active people in the
New Maintainer Group.  I hereby volunteer (I'm in the US, NYC area,
and only speak English and smidgeons of Spanish, German, and French).

> P.S.
> I think, and hope that the Debian is "open" project.

It is -- don't get paranoid.  The New Maintainer Group is just swamped
a bit.  I think it needs more people -- highly trustable people, of
course.