Re: Release Plans (1999-05-10)

On Mon, May 10, 1999 at 09:08:08PM +0200, Hartmut Koptein wrote:
> > The best list is debian-boot@lists.debian.org. The main problem we are
> > facing is our official 2.2.x kernels are huge, and there's no way to put
> > the kernel and the root.bin image on a single floppy. The proposed
> > solution is building a modularized kernel, and loading the needed modules
> > using an initrd image, but AFAICT, there's nobody working on that.
>
> What about the ramdisk/root.bin (and then also for the netboot-ramdisk)?
> They are also very huge now. Floppies with 1.7MB isn't good ...

Anybody remember the old slackware adage? The kernel can load its root FS
(compressed or not) from a separate floppy. this would bring us up to a
measly three floppies for floppy install. Besides, most ppl will be doing
CD boots anway....

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..vanco@sonic.net.. ..aaronv@debian.org....
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org

"...Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing..."
	-- Ralph Waldo Emerson