Re: Time to rewrite dpkg

* Ossama Othman said:

Hi, Ossama

>  > implementation on the GNU platform, which is now in its young days - it's
>  > constantly changing, the features are being added, standard being
>  > implemented in more and more detail. This situation will no doubt incurr
>  > many changes both in the source code of the programs (new keywords, syntax
>  > changed at places, library classes etc.) but also in the generated binaries
>  > interfaces - esp in the shared libraries.
>
> I don't believe that the situation is nearly as bad as you depict it.
> A few years ago I would agree with you but the fact that there is now a
> standard means that the standard C++ APIs/keywords/syntax will generally
> not change.
The standards don't change that fast, but I'm talking about the
_implementation_. The g++ compiler still has problems and unimplemented
standard C++ elements - again, rtti and exceptions come to mind, not to
mention templates. And I remember how did the C++ interface, in binary
libraries, changed when Borland added exceptions, rtti and templates to
their compilers. One had to recompile everything to link against the code
produced with the new tools.

>  > > fairly stable in terms of existing language feature support.  Stuff
>  > > like RTTI and exception handling aren't major issues since they can
>  > > easily be disabled.
>  > But it DOES change the binary representation of the program, esp. name
>  > mangling - which is the major headache with C++ right now.
>
> Again, I don't think the name mangling issue is so bad.  Then again, I
> program exclusively in C++ so I am admittedly biased toward it.
You said it :))) - it's really a pain in the neck to interface the C++ libs
from C or any other language for that matter... Especially if you want your
C code to be cross-platform. All the major vendors use different mangling
schemes AFAIR - Borland, WATCOM, Micro$oft and last, but certainly not least
- the GNU compiler.

regards,
  marek