Re: mass-installing Debian

On Wed, May 19, 1999 at 01:06:48PM -0400, tony mancill wrote:
[snip]
> On a related note, couldn't we have an environment variable set at
> installation time, e.g. "NON_INTERACTIVE_DPKG=TRUE", and have the
> maintainer scripts check this to see if they should ask questions or not?
> If this variable were set to TRUE, I'd like to see packages which require
> configuration send mail to root with a message like:

Somone a while ago suggested allowing the user to automatically answer all
of the "overwrite existing file? [N/y]" that dpkg asks when the config file
changes in the packge.  Just getting rid of these messages would get rid of
quite a few.

Personally I _always_ keep the current one. Then every now and again I go
through /etc and merge in any changes.

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Avoid tiresome goat sacrifices  -=-  use Debian Linux http://www.debian.org