Re: Information to at talk about Debian

On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 17:01:31 +0200, Peter Makholm wrote:
> I'm going to promote Debian on some meetings at the local LUG
> (www.sslug.dk). I would like to bring on some statistic about Debian
> but I wonder how I find the canonical numbers of developers and
> packages?

I'm not aware of canonical numbers, but wc -l goes a long way:

pgp -kv /usr/share/keyrings/debian-keyring.pgp | grep '^pub' | wc -l

505 developers

Similarly, zgrep '^Package:' Packages.{main,contrib,non-free,...} | wc -l
using the Packages files for the various distributions (main, contrib,
non-free, non-US/main, non-US/contrib non-US/non-free) should give a
reasonably accurate package count.

> Is there som standard material for using on a booth at a LinuxShow or is
> it all redone for every event?

I'm not sure; ask press@debian.org .

HTH,
Ray
--
LEADERSHIP  A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with auto-
destructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to the crunch