Re: Advantages of distributions for companies?

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Steve Greenland wrote:

> When I first started using Linux (Debian 0.91 or some such), it was
> no big deal for me to grab the source for something and build it. The
> situation is know at the point where I rarely spend the effort to use
> something that's not available as a .deb. It would have to be something
> pretty special, and not functionally available in some other program.

Indeed, also allowing us to repackage otherwise freely downloadable
software (netscape, acrobat, etc) provides you with a wider customer base
and some free advertising - thousands of debian users will see your
products name in their package listsings and your package will turn up on
any related searchs they do. It all makes it more likely that you will get
a sale.

Jason