Re: An 'ae' testimony

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

> All that's necessary for a functional jed. Not that it matters since
> ee is clearly the right choice.

I think ee is a good choice, I'm not sure it's the right choice, I'm
not sure there is a right choice.  If we put a vi on, we get a
(probably deserved) reputation for newbie hostility.  If we don't, we
alienate all the experienced people, who expect vi to be a basic tool
available everywhere.

I'm not sure there's a way to win this.  Something like ae, but which
worked better and which had a better vi-alike mode would be the
optimal choice, probably, but I'm not aware of such a beast.  Anyone
who really, truly hates ae should write us a better one.  We need
simple "four-banger" editing, and we need a vi-like mode.  And it
should be somewhere between ae and ee in size.

What if we just *fix* ae's most noticable problems?  Surely we can do
that without doubling its size (ee is more than twice as large).

This is an *emergency* editor we're talking about here, not something
you'll end up using day after day.  It really doesn't need to be
perfect, just good enough.  Let's not loose sight of the goal here.