Re: [ITP] xfonts-jmk-charcell

On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 03:11:28PM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> some happy fonts for X, includes a couple of BIG fonts (bigger than
> 10x20) which are useful to me in resolutions higher than 800x600.  GPL.

While my remarks in reply to the person who proposed some standardization
of naming of font packages were soundly ignored by him, I'm not so daunted
as to not try again.

I suggest the name "xfonts-knoble".  Traditionally many fonts are
identified by the last name of their creator (or the name of the company
that created them).

I don't think it is necessary to identify them as character cell fonts in
the name of the package.  That can easily go in the short description.

In the extended description, I would mention:
  1) The name of the author (Jim Knoble, apparently).
  2) Identify them as character cell fonts.  To the X cognoscenti this
     implies low resolution and likely intended use with terminal emulators.
     (Even though Thomas Dickey is apparently putting the finishing touches
     on xterm's ability to use ANY X font for display).
  3) The encodings supported.

You seem to already have all this information at your disposal, so this
shouln't be too troublesome.

Also, if you want to stay ahead of the game as regards the ever-changing
Debian X packages, have a file handy (but don't ship it yet) called:

fonts.alias_xfonts-knoble

(I haven't made up my mind yet whether this should be shipped in the
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/<whatever>/ directory, or should be a conffile in
/etc/X11/<someplace>; I'm leaning towards the latter.)

and put all the font aliases this package uses in there.  You will then be
prepared for my nefarious plan to regenerate fonts.alias (and fonts.scale)
files automatically.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |
Debian GNU/Linux                 |               It tastes good.