Re: An 'ae' testimony

On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 02:57:26PM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> ae barely even WORKS!
> it's crap in every other mode, it's just crap!  =>
> _PICO_ is a more functional editor than ae, at least it works.
> toss ae, and get something that functions.

>From what I've seen, ae functions perfectly. It sucks when you have to
run it on an ill terminal (as joe does), but when you run it from the
console it works just right. And that is the primary purpose, since it
comes on the boot disks as a 'rescue' editor. I don't see anyone
complaining about ash being the only shell on the boot diskette - then
why should we ban ae?

If people don't WANT to learn it's key shortcuts (which are displayed by
default when you enter it), that certainly is not ae's fault. I don't see
how/why would anyone want to disguise it as vi, that's not needed.

> Maybe joe or something?  The standard joe package is way too big and
> someone would almost certainly have to come up with a joe-tiny package or
> something, but it'd at least work---compared to ae which does not!

I also like joe - but it is rather large for a bootdisk editor...