why one rescue & boot disk? (was Re: An 'ae' testimony)

Steve Lamb wrote:
>     Two seperate functions.  Why are we trying to cram two seperate functions
> into one?

Good question. If we're getting very cramped (I'm sure we are :-), it might
be time to think about splitting the two. I can see one very big advantage
to using the same disk for two thing though. It means that a new user, who
has just installed debian, magically has a rescue disk, without any extra
work. If making a rescue disk was an additional step, most newbies wouldn't
do it.

(It may also mean less work by the boot floppies guys. Or not - if we used
say, Tom's Root Boot as our rescue disk, we wouldn't have to maintain all
that stuff and could devote more time to the basic install. I've heard very
good things about Tomsrtbt.)

--
see shy jo