Re: An 'ae' testimony

On Sat, May 22, 1999 at 11:51:48AM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> OK, I haven't read all of this thread, but I've read enough to know that
> most of what I haven't read is either reguarding a replacement editor or
> of no value to me ;-)
>
> First of all, I only have one complaint, and it goes to Joseph Carter's
> snide remarkes about the non-functional nature of ae in general. This is
> simply not true. ae is a nice, functional, compact editor, who's only
> claim to fame is that it is smaller than anything else. The only current
> bugs against ae have to do with key bindings.

It's been confirmed that if you press some exotic key that ae doesn't
know about, ae starts treating things like arrow keys as if they were
three discrete characters typed at the keyboard and they get totally
ignored.

I don't know exactly what caused this.  It happened while I was trying to
use it for rescue purposes and it made a complete mess of things and I in
fact had to resort to doing odd things just to kill it and try again.  If
this was a bug that has been fixed, I apologize.  However if someone can
still duplicate that kind of thing still (and it seems that one can), ae
suddenly becomes dangerous to rely on.

> In the next release of ae, there will be no support for the editor
> impared. ae will only run as ae, and will no longer masquerade as
> something that it is not. If there needs to be a vi script that notifies
> the finger-programmed to type something else, it will need to reside
> somewhere in the boot floppies, and be discribed on some information
> screens during installation.
>
> ae will no longer support any reference to vi.

Good.  This at the very least is almost certainly a very good thing.

<MFGolfBal> rit/ara:  There's something really demented about UNIX
            underwear...