Re: An 'ae' testimony

Hi,
>>"Craig" == Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:

 Craig> it's not that vi is the only editor which is understood. it's more that
 Craig> when you're in a hurry trying to fix some system that has gone down you
 Craig> don't have time to mess around learning some stupid editor which doesn't
 Craig> do any of the things you need it to do.

        What doesn't ae to? As an editor for a damaged system, it
 seems to work well.

 Craig> being restricted to a primitive editor after you have become
 Craig> proficient with vi is akin to re-learning how to talk after having a
 Craig> stroke..

        Ahem. vi non-primitive heh-heh-heh.

 Craig>  .you've lost some really fundamental ability which you take
 Craig> for granted. when you know vi you don't need to remember the commands,
 Craig> you just think about what changes you want to make and (metaphorically
 Craig> speaking) your fingers do the rest. having to use a primitive editor
 Craig> reduces you to hunt-and-peck typing and having to think about each
 Craig> individual keystroke.

        Are vi users less capable, or more inflexible, than users of
 better editors? I think you are doing vi users a dissservice,
 labeling them so incapable and unadapting.

        Anyway, every one knows that vi is primitive ;-)

        manoj

--
 One of the worst of my many faults is that I'm too critical of
 myself.