Re: mass-installing Debian

tony mancill <tmancill@mancill.com> writes:

> For the developers:
>
> On a related note, couldn't we have an environment variable set at
> installation time, e.g. "NON_INTERACTIVE_DPKG=TRUE", and have the
> maintainer scripts check this to see if they should ask questions or not?
> If this variable were set to TRUE, I'd like to see packages which require
> configuration send mail to root with a message like:

But some questions need to be asked, like the hostname and the IP.

Also I want to configure the easy stuff but I'm not paranoid and have
to get asked about everything. There have to be experience levels for
questions and also flags to say if this option is only for one host,
for one arch or for everything.

> "To finish configuring bind, please run /usr/sbin/bindconfig"
>
> If you don't like the idea of sending mail (maybe mail is not yet setup),
> then have the maintainer scripts write their config commands to a single
> script, like so:
>
> echo "/usr/sbin/bindconfig" >> ~root/debian_postinstall_config.sh
>
> Then the sysadmin can run this single script to complete the install at
> her leisure.
>
> Perhaps some mechanism like those above can tide the user community over
> until we have a new tool(set).
>
> Comments?

You configure one system, create a bootdisk from that system and stick
it into each comp. It asks for the hostname, the ip and other locally
needed stuff and runs silent after that. Thats how an installation
should be goind. Preferably, the hostname/IP should be autoassigned
and no questions should be asked at all. :)

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin