Re: Intent to package GNU Philosophy web pages

On 24-May-99, 12:59 (CDT), Edward Betts <edward@debian.org> wrote:
> Why does Debian only accept free software? What is so good about free
> software? It is all explained in this package.

There are other reasons that free software is good (e.g. the ESR
utilitarian arguments). Some Debianers might agree with one philosophy,
others another. If you're going to package one, and the justification is
as above, then you need to package summaries of all the reasons.

> I think it is important for an explanation of the benefits of free software
> to be included in Debian.

A: The Debian web pages ought to do that.

B: Aren't the Social Contract and DFSG already included? If so, then you
might try to convince that package maintainer to include the GNU stuff. (If
the DFSG and SC aren't included, why not?)

> The Anarchist FAQ is not a web site either, it is an FAQ, we have loads of
> FAQs already, and I accept they are all a little more computer related, but
> Debian is an anarchic organisation (a poor link I know, but a link never the
> less).

Debian is anarchic? We have a constitution, several officers, and
decision making procedures, both democratic and technocratic. It hardly
qualifies as an anarchy.

(No, I don't want to debate this point in the lists or via private
e-mail; I suspect your comment was tounge-in-cheek, mine certainly was.)

Steve