Re: An 'ae' testimony

On Sat, May 22, 1999 at 12:21:02PM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 1999, Michael Stone wrote:
>
> > On Sat, May 22, 1999 at 07:49:11PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > > some version of vi is essential on a rescue disk, regardless of what some
> > > windows using loudmouth happens to think (and no, i'm not referring to
> > > you here joseph).
> >
> > That's just silly. If someone can figure out vi, they really ought to be
> > able to figure out how to use an editor with on-screen help. We're not
> > forcing anyone to write a book with it, just use it for a couple of
> > seconds in an emergency.
> >
> > > ae is fine except for the vi emulation mode.  it does the job, a simple
> > > no-frills no-features text editor.
> >
> > I disagree: I think it's still more complicated than it needs to be.
>
> Complicated?
>
> > E.g., the big block of commands at the upper left is a bit too
> > cluttered.
>
> Upper left? You _are_ refering to the help screen aren't you? This screen
> coveres the top third of the screen, and includes every operation ae will
> perform. How would you suggest that I make it less "cluttered"?
>
> The phrase, "a bit too cluttered" is not something I can convert into a
> patch ;-)

remove this help stuff, and have just some sort of help binding that will bring
it up. That would be nicer, and let more space for editign.

> >           The prompts sometimes leave something to be desired (When I
> > type ^X^C after changing a file, why does the prompt have n^H at the end
> > of it?)
>
> This is a bug that both the author and myself have been unable to resolve.
> It seems to be an artifact of key encoding, but, since the error isn't
> obvious, it could just as easily be caused by something else (like a
> curses difficulty of a completely different nature). As it is only visual
> cruft, and doesn't effect the opperation of the program, I have not been
> too frantic about it...

yes, but someone who is editing his systems config file file be distrustfull to
such garbage.

> >         And it _is_ possible for people to get trapped in ae--but people
>
> While this was true for several "broken" releases of ae, this has not been
> possible for a long time. The reason this missinformation remains in play
> for so long is that folks continue to use old, broken rescue disks. The
> current version of ae does not suffer from this problem, and hasn't for
> some time.

Sure this happened to me a long time ago, didn't try ae since because of it
though.

> > are able to escape ee by typing the escape key and answering the
> > prompts.
>
> <cntrl> Q works in ae.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER