Re: PROPOSAL: automatic installation and configuration

From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu>
> On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 03:30:11PM +0300, Amos Shapira was heard to say:
> > From: Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu>
> > >   The idea was to make a program similar to dialog, but which would
> > > interpret a mini-language and be abstracted around data instead of widgets.
> >
> > Not to sound like an XML biggot, but what about using XML to describe
> > the fields and acceptable answers?  There is an abundance of tools to
> > parse XML in any practical language you might consider.
>
>   Actually my original plan was to eventually do XML, but my ignorance of
> XML and the complexity of APIs to the parsers discouraged me.  I think it
> would be possible to allow both input formats, although that of course
> makes the program take longer to write :-)
>   I might just write it in a way that'll make it easy to swap in new
> input modules, either at compile-time or at runtime.

Just as well.  As long as the input format is consistant enough, and
with the availability of the parser code, it should be relativelly
easy to reformat the input to anything else later.

>   Thanks :-)  Of course now the problem is to get a working program..

Yup. :) The difference is that with "easier" goals I expect to get
some output in that direction much sooner.

Cheers,

--Amos

--Amos Shapira                  | "Of course Australia was marked for
amos@gezernet.co.il             |  by the finest judges in England."