Re: Editor for the rescue floppy (was: An 'ae' testimony (suggestion))

On Thu, May 27, 1999 at 06:24:31PM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl> writes:
>
> > [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> > Previously Ilya L Ovchinnikov wrote:
> > > What do you think about the elvis-tiny statically linked
> > > against old libtermcap?
> >
> > I'ld prefer vim-tiny, but both are still too bug. Also, a non-vi
> > editor is nice for people who don't know vi, and ae can do that.
> >
> > Wichert (not believing he actually seems to be defending ae)
>
> Please don't use ae. It looks like various other editors, but doesn't
> react like they do. Neigther vi nor emacs mode is working and the vi
> mode is dangerously broken.

A non-functional emulation is worse than none at all.  Native ae is
useful for getting started, particularly for someone without a
unix background.  As I recall, my first experiences with vi were
somewhat frustrating. I never have used ae except during installation or
repairing a broken system with a rescue disk.  It's availability in
those situations was priceless.

> What about joe or zile or mcedit or if you realy need a small editor,
> take zsh and its editor script..
>
> I also would love to have mc on the rescue disk and with that mcedit
> would be the editor of choise.

teco, anyone?

Bob