Re: Add "nice -10" to /etc/crontab run-parts commands?

Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> writes:
>> "Steve" == Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org> writes:
>>     Steve> Is there an objection to adding "nice 10" to the run-parts
>>     Steve> invocations in /etc/crontab? This would (possibly) make the
>>     Steve> machine more usable while they were running...
>
>Seriously, you as machine admin are in charge of the cron files, add
>whatever you want to them.  I see no need for Debian as a whole to
>what the user wants.

No, I think Debian should set this by default, or even "nice 20".

I figure that
  (1) most users will not even be aware of the option,
  (2) if they did know about it, they would prefer to run the daily
jobs at a lower priority,
  (3) they would appreciate not having to figure out how to set it up
for themselves, and
  (4) people who would prefer something different are likely to know
how to set it up.

		- Jim Van Zandt