Re: Editor for the rescue floppy (was: An 'ae' testimony (suggestion))

Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> Previously Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> > What about joe or zile or mcedit or if you realy need a small editor,
> > take zsh and its editor script..
>
> Did you compare sizes? ae is *much* smaller.

Smaler than a screen full of shell script? I doubt that.
Anyway, size should not be that much of a problem. The current
rescuedisk will be to big for one disk shortly anyway, so we should
think about some more space efficient way. Maybe its worth to use
several ramdisks stored as bz2 files on the rescue and drivers disk or
to try a compressed filesystem.

Also for people booting from/with CD space isn't a problem. The CD
could be autodetected and a filesystem could be mounted from there,
giving all the ncie tools that wouldn't fit onto the rescue disk, like
a sensible editor, tar, gzip, bzip2, dd, bash,....

I think its a good idea to have a compact boot disk set for
installation, but a feature rich rescue system on CD or on several
disks is also nice. With the current rescue disk you can't even chroot
to your right system and then work from there so fixing a partly
broken system becomes difficult.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin