Re: PROPOSAL: automatic installation and configuration

On Mon, May 31, 1999 at 11:14:53PM +0200, Massimo Dal Zotto wrote:

> This is a terrible way of doing things if you have more than 2500 packages.

Hmm, I did not install every package. I have just 671 packages installed :)

> My proposal was designed to have very little impact on existing packages.

... which is good.

> They don't need to know what is behind the getconfig API. They just need to
> label each question with a symbolic id (varname) and make their questions
> using the API.

Yep, but I don't think it is to hard to support a file
/var/lib/config_data/<package> or something like this.

This file could read

foo_default="ccc"
foo_message="message"
foo_prompt="prompt"
foo_choices="a b c"

So the postinst would only call dpkg-getconfig package_foo. All the
information about foo is in the information file.

cu
    Torsten