Re: #38544: Gettext solution (Was: Re: gettext packages)

> > Why don't you report "this package should be splitted because it is
> > too large and contains things which are not normally useful" as a bug
> > against libc6-dev?
>
> Because it is not itching him. He probably does not care about the 3.3MB the
> static libraries are taking. Also I think it would be a good idea to split
> this beast - about 8MB for the basic development package? *arg*

You are absolutely right about the enormous size of the development
setup.  I just don't have any clear ideas about how to deal with it.
If you do, please speak up!

Essentially, yes: we can tell people who just want to *use* the
machine that they don't need libc6-dev or any other -dev package.
But why should the have to have most of 1MB of stuff just to have
shell scripts in their own language when we could get by with a
fraction of the stuff.  I'm putting on my Joe User hat for this
argument; for a developer, who cares anyway?  They will probably need
most of this stuff if they are internationalising their software.

> > > Anyway, I might pursue my intent to find a clean way to split the
> > > gettext package when I have some time.
> >
> > Even if you find a "clean" way to split it, I think a good reason to
> > split it is still needed. Just because you think it must be split
> > does not make it a bug. It would be more productive to clearly state
> > the reasons why gettext "must" to be split while libc6-dev has not
> > before looking the way to split it.
>
> It should fit into the base system. Nobody needs libc6-dev there but gettext
> would be really nice...

Hear, hear.

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk