Re: calling Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>

On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 09:27:15AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 02, 1999 at 03:09:22PM -0400, Branden Robinson wrote:
>
> [i know this is off-topic, but i can't let your unwarranted attack go
> unanswered. if you want the quick version of this message it can be
> summed up in the phrase "Get a clue!". if you want the long version,
> read on]

I was incorrect about one thing; Phil set that up on his own box, so it
doesn't really affect anyone else.  My piss and venom is reserved for ISPs
who do this, especially those who don't tell their users they do this, or
don't let their users opt out of the service.

So Phil and Dale will have to negotiate about how they are to communicate
with each other, and it looks like they are doing that.

I still think that filtering based on rules like the RBL, MAPS, DUL, ORBS
and the like use is wrong in almost all its applications.  I disagree with
it on a fundamental, philosophical level, except when it is effectively
implemented only on a per-mailbox basis (and most people in the world with
email accounts don't run their own MTA).

Hate me, call me a clueless idiot, think of me as another Steve Lamb all
you like.  I've never sent a piece of unsolicited commercial email in my
life, and yet my mails get thrown away by some ISP's because of where they
originate.  That is unjust.  And I will never stop complaining about it
until it is no longer a problem for responsible net citizens.

You can personally killfile me for any reason you want.  I do not recognize
your right to killfile me in the mailboxes of other people without their
knowledge or consent.  And I am opposed to tools that make it easy for lazy
sysadmins to do that.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   The only way to get rid of a temptation
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   is to yield to it.