Re: non-English copyright

Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
  >There are many programs developed by Japanese programmers
  >which have copyright written in Japanese.
  >
  >When we debianize these programs, is it possible to use
  >Japanese copyright as copyright file of Debian packages ?

Since this is the original copyright it ought to be included.
However, for it to be useful, you will have to provide a translation,
or else no-one outside Japan will know what they are allowed to do.

  >I am afraid you will answer it is impossible but please note;
  >
  >- if the Japanese author(s) and/or maintainer(s) translate
  >Japanese copyright to English, it may contains many possible
  >errors in English usages.

It is always better for translations to be done by someone who is a
native speaker of the target language.  If possible, find a Japanese-
speaking Englishman to do the translation. If you cannot, post the
translation, making sure that you say it is a translation, and ask
for comments.  They should show whether it says what you think it
does.

  >- I do not know about law at all but perhaps from a legal point
  >of view only the original copyright is effective and the translated
  >one has only a meaning as a reference at most.

That is correct.  However, any court outside Japan would need to be
given a translation to work from.

     "But without faith it is impossible to please him; for
      he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and
      that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek
      him."       Hebrews 11:6