Re: calling Philip Hands <phil@hands.com>

On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 08:36:50AM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 10:40:54PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > > I do not relay.  My ISP runs NT on its mail server.  I want my mail
> > > delivered and unmangled.  I would be greatly offended if my email started
> > > getting rejected simply because I don't have a relay set up (especially
> > > given that I'm running a Linux workstation here and don't NEED a relay to
> > > get my mail safely to where it belongs.)
> >
> > But read above. The reasons for requiring a relay are quite clear
> > and quite valid. It doesn't matter how safe your Linux is for
> > delivering mail, it's just as safe for a spammer and therefore not allowed.
>
> Then provide me a relay I can use.  If you can't do that, you have no
> business telling me that I can't just not use one.

I'm not saying you have to use one. Just that if you don't, you can
expect your email connectivity to suffer in the future. Just like my
example with the web proxy, I can ignore their proxy if I want, but
I won't have any web connectivity.

> How would you feel if you were not allowed to irc from Linux because
> Linux makes it easy to use DoS attacks on windoze users?  I'm sure you'd
> say that's silly--and so did I.

And completely irrelevant to this point. It has nothing to do with the OS.

> If the best you can do for filtering spam is indiscriminantly blocking
> most of the Internet, the problem is YOURS, not mine.

rofl! Do you have a better idea?

> You're free to offer to pay the balance required for me to use another
> ISP ....

I thought we all paid our own way here. Should I go out and find the
cheapest, nastiest ISP in Melbourne and ask someone to subsidise it
to make it usable? I don't expect to get anything free(*), not even
a monitor.

(*) Except the software, of course.

Hamish
--