Re: Hey! what should I do?

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Joseph Carter wrote:

>On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 08:57:46AM -0400, Michael Stenner wrote:
>> I think it is important that debian keep a current afterstep package.  A
>> lot of new users come to linux for the beautiful and customizable look
>> and feel, and afterstep is one of the leaders in that area.
>
>I maintain the asclassic package.  I can have a look at the newest stable
>afterstep if you like---it's almost certainly very similar to the
>asclassic package given that I've forked asclassic from it.  =D  Thing
>is, unless I can convince the thing to behave in a manner similar to
>asclassic, I don't really want to maintain the beast all that much.
>
>I'd be willing to give you a hand with it, or possibly adopt it myself if
>I can get the newest versions to behave properly.

I'd be willing to adopt it, I think.  (I VERY much appreciate the offer
of help)  The trouble is, it doesn't seem to be up for adoption!  I
recall seeing a similar issue come up before?  Is it appropriate to just
"steal" someone's package?

>> Personally, I don't care -- I can and do install the latest versions
>> from tarballs in about 2 minutes, but new users aren't normally willing
>> ot do that (we discourage it, after all).
>
>I'd discourage it too---I never install tarballs anymore.  It does bad
>things.  It's always better to debianize the tarball first, and with
>debhelper not terribly painful to do either.

(it's not too bad with a /usr/local/pkg/Afterstep_x.x.xx/ dir that only
symlinks extending out the the rest of the world --- .debs are better)

					-Michael

  Michael Stenner			Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics	  mstenner@phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305