Re: /etc/environment

On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 12:39:47AM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> For your personal login shell?  If you use bash, then ~/.bash_login and

Yes.

> probably ~/.bashrc.  Might be worth writing a ~/.bash_env and then
> sourcing them (using: ". ~/.bash_env") from both.  You *don't* want to
> set a global LC_ALL: that's the responsibility of individual users.

I am the individual user.

> (And even if you are the only user on your machine, you may not want
> to set LC_ALL for root.)

I never work as root. :-)

Anyway, there is one problem with your approach namely that it doesn't do
what I want. At least it didn't when I tried yome years ago. The problem is
that the locale initilisation in my shell is done before the environment
variable is set. So I have to have LC_ALL set before the shell starts.
That's what /etc/environment is for.

Michael
Email: Michael.Meskes@gmx.net          | Use PostgreSQL!