Re: KDE liscence question

On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 03:23:45PM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> Steve Haslam <araqnid@debian.org> writes:
>
> > [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> > On Thu, Jun 10, 1999 at 02:42:03PM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> > > The new qt has a free licenze. Thus is goes into main, thus it is a
> > > system library, or not?
> >
> > That would mean every single library package in main would count as a
> > system library- which is ridiculous IMHO. The term "system library" is
> > too vague to be of much use here. Personally, I don't regard much
> > outside of libc as a system library, certainly not X.
>
> Yes, its cery vague. Thats the problem. I think that its stupid to
> kick kde out of debian, just because qt is qpl and not gpl. Also

it's not stupid, imho.

> system libraries should be libraries that are awaylable on every
> debian system, which a qt in main is, as all libs in main are.
> Everything in main has a free license and its stupid to denie programs
> to link against other free libraries and the only way for GPL to allow
> this is to declare those free libs in main system libraries.
>
> Kde should have used lgpl or another free license, but now they cant
> change it anymore and this fight about what kde might link to and what
> not is stupid and not in everybodies intrest.

Kde used gpl code of  other authors, so they are violating the copyright of
these authors. This is very very wrong, and if wee use a cavil to put KDE in
main, were violating the copyright of those authors. This is not acceptable.

--
Francesco Tapparo                                 tapparo@mat.unimi.it
GNU fanatic                                       cesco@debian.org