Re: KDE liscence question

On Sat, Jun 12, 1999 at 01:33:07PM +0200, Francesco Tapparo wrote:
> > Then we should distribute KDE on second CD.
> > Really.
>
> No, QT is not a system library (even X is not a main component of the system).

Agreed.

> > The best solution might be to distribute KDE as non-US part of Debian.
> > Many of european vendors distribute non-US on separate CD. Why
> > couldn't we do the same with KDE?
>
> The best solution would be to not distribute KDE. But if you really really
> want to put KDE in Debian, you can do the following:
>
> remove all the GPL'd code copyrighted by non KDE-people, and the
> redistribute the modified code. Moreover remove all the problematic code
> (for non commercial use code etc.).
> Then we can distribute the remaining code.

Or convince the "donors" of significant chunks of code (whether they
realize they have donated it or not *g*) to grant permission for their
code to be used with Qt.  Any solution that really truly fixes the
problem will require this anyway.

All right, all right...  I'll work on the license today.  It will be
posted to debian-legal, where it belongs.  Not -devel  =p

Gold, n.:
  A soft malleable metal relatively scarce in distribution.  It is mined
  deep in the earth by poor men who then give it to rich men who immediately
  bury it back in the earth in great prisons, although gold hasn't done
  anything to them.
        -- Mike Harding, "The Armchair Anarchist's Almanac"