Re: Moving contrib and non-free of master.debian.org

On Tuesday 22 June 1999, at 16 h 25, the keyboard of "J.H.M. Dassen"
<jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:

> The Debian project has always been somewhat pragmatical in its use of
> non-free software and services where they fulfill a real need.

OK. Fine. I agree. I use non-free software myself. But, in that case, I
refrain for deliberately making non-free software harder to find and install
for ordinary users.

What Wichert proposed was to tell Debian users "Do as I say, not as I do".
Either we apply "pure 100 % free software" to ourselves, or we stop trying to
find new and improved ways to make users unaware of non-free software.

> Suppose someone offers to host a remote www.[country].debian.org site for
> us? Do we need to check them for political correctness?

I'm not the one who suggested a crusade against non-free software. The current
situation (with the main and non-free sections) is fine for me.

> I still feel the pragmatic approach is the best,

Which means you'll vote like me:

No        1) create nonfree.debian.org domain
No        2) create official.debian.org domain
Yes       3) keep the current situation
Why not?  4) further discussion