Re: md5 package summaries on ftp server (was Re: System integrity)

In article <[🔎] 19990624042828.A9338@ormond.unimelb.edu.au> you write:

>> 2. I would also get the maintainer/uploader to sign the [md5sums] file using
>> PGP/GPG...
>
>Ideally - yes.  Practically - no.

Why would it be impractical?

Of course, something like this wouldn't occur overnight, but you could have
every new package contain a signed md5sum file, say from now, possibly
making some package higher priority then others (eg essential packages),
and the packages that don't yet contain this new feature - well that is
no worse off then it currently is now...

As I said before, signing the md5sums file has the advantage (IMHO),
that you can securely check all non-config files on a system for any
tampering. Of course somebody could tamper with your copy of PGP to
produce false positives, but if that is really important, you can easily
boot up from a known good floppy with a good copy of PGP, md5sum, and
Debian signatures. In short - I think it would be worth it.

Maybe this could be done as well as automatically signing the entire
package by the FTP site when it is uploaded - the maintainers
signature says - yes, noone has tampered with any files in/from this
package since I uploaded it, and the debian signature says - yes,
this is a valid Debian package.

If this was to be used, I would suggest changing the debian signature
with every release (eg potato) so that a particular package is
"endorsed" to be valid for a particular release. Furthermore, if the
private key for any early release gets comprimised, it doesn't have such
a significant impact.

--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>