Re: ITP: gettext-base

On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Julian Gilbey wrote:

> > Santiago Vila wrote:
> > >
> > > Ok, I've done the math: A "gettext-base" package containing the
> > > /usr/bin/gettext binary, all the message catalogs, and just the required
> > > bits at /usr/doc/gettext-base has an approximate size of just 70K
> > > (compressed). This is considerably smaller than the 340K (compressed) of
> > > gettext in slink, so it may worth the effort to do the split.
>
> Santiago:
> It might possibly have been courteous to acknowledge that I had done
> the maths in multiple ways on this one and posted the results here
> already....

Well, what is interesting here is the *compressed* size, because it
reduces the size of the base2_1.tgz file and it may reduce the number of
base floppies (or may prevent increasing it). I acknowledge that you did
the math for the Installed-Size but I do not remember that you posted the
compressed sizes (which I think it is what really matters here).

(Branden, let us not personalize the discussion, ok?).

> > > So, if there are not objections, sections and priorities will be like
> > > this:
> > >
> > > gettext-base base  standard
> > > gettext      devel optional
>
> No objections from me.  Sounds fine.  As a harder project (of whose
> worth I am uncertain): figure out how much more space could be saved
> by splitting the catalogs as well.

If the current scheme is well enough for you, please don't think of
splitting the catalogs. It will create additional problems on the
translators's side.

Thanks.

--
 "49cb4931fcf66e782110cca40c831084" (a truly random sig)