Re: Postfix as default MTA?

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 06:45:39PM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:
>
> > it's got a "plain english" config file, well documented with
> > comments and examples. the defaults work fine for simple installs.
> > changing the configuration is mostly a matter of uncommenting or
> > making minor changes to sample lines in the main.cf file.
>
> Yes, but I'm curious what its *advantages* are over exim, not all the
> ways in which it's the same. :-)

i think it's a subjective call. postfix and exim are probably roughly
equal in terms of ease of configuration. postfix's advantages over exim
are in speed and security.

i think postfix is the ideal mailer because it a) is enough like
sendmail that it is a drop-in replacement, b) it is as secure as
qmail and has better-than-qmail speed, and c) has exim's ease of
configuration.

> (Perhaps all that anti-spam stuff is the answer I was looking for.
> And in any case, I'm still *not* objecting to the proposal, just
> looking for info -- and replies can still come directly to me, rather
> than to the list....)

if you have a second machine to play with, i'd suggest installing it on
that to check it out. if not, you could backup your exim config and then
try postfix. as with any significant change, it's best to make a list of
all the things which the replacement needs to be able to do first and
keep them in mind when you're reading the docs and editing the config.

if you run into any problems, feel free to email me.  (CC any
non-confidential stuff to debian-user so that any answers can be
shared.)

> I do think (as others have commented) that we should wait until more
> testing has been done before switching defaults (again),

agreed.

craig

--
craig sanders