Re: when move /usr/doc -> /usr/share/doc ?

Eduardo Marcel Macan <macan@colband.com.br> wrote:

>> The problem with this change is, that there is no generic way to
>> find the documentation for the packages, if it is distributed
>> between /usr/doc and /usr/share/doc.

>> Maybe by installing the documentation under /usr/share/doc/<package>
>> and creating a symlink /usr/doc/<package> pointing to this location.
>> Then all documentation will be available as /usr/doc/<package> in the
>> transition phase and in the far future (when every package is re-build
>> using /usr/share/doc), we can remove /usr/doc and switch over to
>> /usr/share/doc.

> 	Maybe we should make /usr/doc to symlink to /usr/share/doc in a
> future release, so anything that tries to get installed in /usr/doc will
> be really installed under /usr/share/doc.

a) Does dpkg support installing through a symlink?
b) How do you make sure, that the first package using /usr/share/doc,
   a user installs, moves all files from /usr/doc to /usr/share/doc
   and creates a symlink /usr/doc -> /usr/share/doc? Otherwise we
   again will have inconsistencies. And don't forget, that many users
   don't upgrade the complete distribution, but only some selected
   packages.

> Eventually we can wipe the /usr/doc->/usr/share/doc link... ?

This is in far future (maybe in Debian 2.4?)

Tschoeeee

        Roland

--
 * roland@spinnaker.de * http://www.spinnaker.de/ *
 PGP: 1024/DD08DD6D   2D E7 CC DE D5 8D 78 BE  3C A0 A4 F1 4B 09 CE AF