Re: Berlin & FSSTND/FHS

On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 09:10:58PM -0400, Jordan Mendelson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've gone through the Debian policy manual, the FSSTND, the FHS and I simply
> can't find an acceptable answer to this.
>
> Berlin is a new graphical operating environment, similar to X. It is designed to
> be a complete environment as a replacement or possibly a complimentary GUI to X.
>
> The FSSTND and FHS have set the X11R6 directory to /usr/X11R6/*. The
> subdirectories are similiar to the rest of /usr, with lib, man, etc directories.
> The rational I understood was because X is a seperate environment from console
> Linux.
>
> Currently, the Berlin debs have the path based in the /usr directory, putting
> headers and IDL source in /usr/include, the libraries and plugins in /usr/lib,
> and the binaries in /usr/bin.
>
> Would we be violating policy if we created /usr/Berlin?

Yes, Jordy, it would! We can't do it. end of story. My debs at
www.debian.org/~aaronv follow debian policy to the letter, or so I believe.

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..vanco@sonic.net.. ..aaronv@debian.org....
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org

There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count and
	those who can't.