Re: ITP: Powertweak

*Farzad Farid wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 02, 1999, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > If no one has already packaged powertweak or has put in an ITP to package
> > powertweak (http://linux.powertweak.com/), I'd like to formally announce my
> > ITP powertweak.
> >

> The file PCI/parse_pci.c says:
>  *      Can be freely distributed and used under the terms of the GNU GPL.
>  *      *NB* No code or data-tables from Powertweak may be used in any profit
>  *           making application (regardless of OS) without express permission.
>
> Isn't this last statement incompatible with GPL or the DFSG? The package may
> have to go in non-free, or even be rejected if it's really incompatible with
> GPL.

  Yes, it is incompatible.  I have seen this problem before. Perhaps the author
can be persuaded to drop the clause. Otherwise, he should make it clear that
he wants to use the GPL, but modified a bit.  He probably doen't really want
this.

--
John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu>,  lapeyre@debian.org