Re: Release management

> On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 08:48:46PM +0200, Richard Braakman wrote:
> > Some issues of release management are being discussed again, so I thought
> > I'd speak up and give my views.
> >
> > What I would like to see is two releases per year, with a freeze time
> > of about one month each.  This gives five months per release for
> > development, of which perhaps one month will be spent on pre-freeze
> > issues.

Six months is a very long time if a major upgrade is released
upstream in that time, if we are to still encourage most users to stick with
stable. I think 3 releases per year (4 months per release, giving 3 months
of general development time, 1 month of freeze) would be better.

I think a set of goals per release would be better -- when the goals have
been met, a freeze should occur. The goals should be small enough that
the time would be less than five months.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB (ex-VK3TYD).