Re: Release management

On 04-Jul-99, 20:06 (CDT), William Ono <wmono@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 08:48:46PM +0200, Richard Braakman wrote:
> > What I would like to see is two releases per year, with a freeze time
> > of about one month each.
>
> This sounds like a very reasonable idea, though I wonder if the suggestion
> by Hamish Moffatt for three releases a year isn't even better.  Whatever
> happens, the release schedule -must- be sped up.

I'd like to see us just *once* set a schedule and keep it. Then we can
talk about doing it faster. Or admit that our organization isn't likely
to lead to kept schedules and just release when it's ready.

> I agree with Richard; by the slink came out of freeze, the software in it
> was already outdated.  This is Bad.

Yeah, after all, once emacs 20.3 was released, my emacs 19.whatever
became totally unusable. Just because the version in the *stable*
distribution isn't the absolute latest is irrelevant for most purposes.
If someone needs the latest feature, then they grab the unstable .deb
(if they can accept the inevitable library upgrades), or just grab the
source and build it on their stable system.

Steve