Re: Kinda OT: Dealing with cracker attempts...

> In /etc/hosts.deny I have something that looks like..

> which ... does a portscan, queso, traceroute, and finger sending the
> results to root and logging to auth.emerg which will ...

Ok..  now maybe you can tell me might might happen if I make an
'unauthorised' connection to your machine and spoof the source address
to someone else who happens to be running one of these little timebombs?

..heres a hint, have you ever stuck a microphone in front of a p.a. speaker
and turned the gain up really high??

> It is most gratifying that your enthusiasm for our planet continues
> unabated, and so we would like to assure you that the guided missiles
> currently converging with your ship are part of a special service we
> extend to all of our most enthusiastic clients, and the fully armed
> nuclear warheads are of course merely a courtesy detail. We look
> forward to your custom in future lives ... thank you.

funnily enough the nuclear warhead loving people have a term that
neatly describes the potential of your 'countermeasures' too..
are you perhaps familiar with Mutually Assured Destruction? ;^)

enjoy,
Ron.