Re: Pentium Optimized

"Christopher C. Chimelis" <chris@beezer.med.miami.edu> writes:

> Debian mail acct wrote:
> >
> > I think that'd be the way to go, but leave it at that: instead of recompiling
> > all of Debian whole-hog for 586/686, strategically pick the small subset of
> > packages for which it'd matter most: kernel, Xservers, apache/*ftpd, egcs etc.
> > Could be done for other procs too (usparc, alpha 22164(?), K7?).
>
> Alpha could definitely use this since the newer processors have byte
> load and store instructions that the older processors didn't have.
> Needless to say, these instructions can have a HUGE impact on
> performance for several packages.  The problem, however, is that we
> would need at least three "layers": EV4, EV5, and EV6.  I could add more
> to those, but those are the basic three where the most advances were
> made.

What would be more usefull and space saving would be a source only
distribution.

apt-get --compile foobar

would download foobar and all it depends on (unless already installed)
and compile it optinised for your host. On an 533MHz Alpha it doesn't
take that long and if you don't want to wait, you can default to the
slow precompiled bins.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin