In bed with Apt

Is Apt rigid ? The answer is yes !
Why not giving a simple directory where ou can find debs and
Packages.gz and that's it ?
moment, apt won't install anything and update its cache neither if
it can't find this directory structure.
Imagine you download packages in a simple directory and you want
to install them via apt. So, you have to create a special directory
tree (as described) if you want apt to work!!!

I think that there are lots of reasons for this, but I don't know
them.

Jerome.