Re: beta version numbers?

On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 12:00:13AM +0000, Bradley Bell wrote:
> has the issue of using things like alpha, beta, and pre in version numbers
> ever been resolved?  The packaging manual says not to use epochs, so what
> should we do to make 1.0beta < 1.0?

1.0beta6  ->  1-0beta6-1
1.0       ->  1.0-1

knghtbrd@icarus2:~$ dpkg --compare-versions 1-0beta6-1 lt 1.0-1 \
> && echo true || echo false
true

I have done something like this for mp3blaster.  OTOH, epic4 WILL need an
epoch because the previous maintainer packaged for example epic4pre1.47
as epic4 version pre1.47-1 which according to hop IS correct (the package
is epic4 version prewhatever, not epic 4prewhatever) though it's not at
all the best way to package it.  If I could do it without an epoch I'd
have versioned it 0prewhatever since I know the first non-pre version
with bee 1.0

* Tv lives in X.
* Knghtbrd lives in console
* wichert lives in the netherlands