Re: Postfix as default MTA?

On 10-Jul-99, 10:12 (CDT),  Georg Bauer <gb@hugo.westfalen.de> wrote:
> Under linux the process spawning is much less an issue than in other
> systems, due to it's special design (copy on write and all that stuff).
> Actually I have done much bad with exim on very  underpowered machines,
> and while it did bring my system to a grinding halt, that wasn't due to
> the exim processes being spawned, but due to the highly disc-bound nature
> of MTAs. And postfix wouldn't cure that problem, either.

I think the contention is not the spawning in and of itself, but that
each spawn duplicates a large executable to accomplish a discrete task,
rather than a small executable that is capable of performing only that
task. Of course, if the code is in memory already, it may actually be
less of a burden than several small executables.

And of course, the *heavy-duty* performance of the *default* Debian MTA
is (or should be) irrelevant. The only concerns should be security, ease
of configuration, and flexibility, probably in that order.

Steve