Re: Please check my translation

From: Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu>
Subject: Re: Please check my translation
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 11:05:08 -0400

> On Sat, Jul 10, 1999 at 04:22:27PM +0900, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> > There are my translation of messages below and please tell me
> > which phrases are wrong and/or unnatural etc.
>
> These are just my thoughts as a native English speaker with no knowledge of
> Japanese.  Don't give them *too* much weight.
>
> Ben Gertzfield is probably the ideal liaison with Japanese developers who
> aren't extremely fluent in English, but he's a busy guy, so I don't know if
> he will be able to comment.  :)

I know Ben Gertzfield is the best person but in this case I wish
to know the thoughts of ordinary native English speaker.

> > 'e2ps'  ---  White Tools Presents.    Copyright Nobuyuki SHIRAKI 1998
>
> I would move this line to the very bottom and change it to something like:
>
> White Tools presents e2ps.  Copyright 1998 Nobuyuki Shiraki.

This part is of original, not of my translation. But it
seems natural for me.

> What are the rules for upcasing a Japanese name?  Some Japanese developers
> seem to do this, and others don't.  Is there an important distinction?
> Pardon my cultural ignorance, but I think I've heard that in Japanese, when
> speaking or writing someone's name, the family name is given first,
> followed by the personal name.  I.e., using Japanese name rules, I would
> say something like:
>
> "Hi, my name is Robinson Branden."
>
> Is my understanding correct?  I am probably not the only non-Japanese
> Debian developer who is unaware of the Japanese conventions in this area.

You are right and in Japanese style, my name is Kohda Atsuhito
but we Japanese usually follow the English style in English
sentence. About upcasing a Japanese name, it is true that some
Japanese upcase their Japanese name and others do not so.

I do not think there is an important distinction but it is
the problem of personal preference. But as stated above we Japanese
reverse the order of first name and last name in English so some
Japanese feel it necessary to distinguish last name.

> Just as a consistency note, in the Usage section, the options are named
> -abifont, -kfont, -kbifont, etc.  I would use the name option names in both

I overlooked this inconsistency. Thanks a lot.

> What's OHP?

Is not "OHP" common word ? I think "OHP" means "Over Head Projecter"
and genuine English but it may be wrong. In TeX, there are SliTeX
or FoilTeX or seminar.sty for "OHP". Is it "slide" in English ?

> Is there a header by default?  What is it?  The filename?  If so, the -head
> option should say:
>
>   -head string              : use string as page header (filename)

I overlooked this poit again. I will check later.

> >     -lib                      : display environment
>
> I don't understand this option at all from this description.

I am afraid this may be meaningless :-)

It displays the followings and how do you say in this case ?

nsx:~$ LANG=C e2ps -lib
name                     : e2ps
author                   : Nobuyuki Shiraki
version                  : Version 4.0
font size                : 10.00
tabulator size           : 8
maximum line numbers     : 66
printer                  : papyrus
top margin               : 40.00
bottom margin            : 40.00
left margin              : 40.00
right margin             : 40.00
font                     : Courier
bold font                : Courier-Bold
bold italic font         : Courier-BoldOblique
Kanji font               : Ryumin-Light-EUC-H
bold Kanji font          : GothicBBB-Medium-EUC-H
bold italic Kanji font   : GothicBBB-Medium-EUC-H-Italic
nsx:~$

For the more technical part, please wait because I need
some time to check. I can reply perhaps tomorrow.
(Now is early morning on sunday in Japan now !)

Thank you for your valuable advises and they are great helps
for me.

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>